Saturday, May 22, 2010

Progress

Well, a lot of things have happened on the house in the last few weeks. Some are not picture worthy, but there have been busy contractors there 7 days of the week.
I haven't been good about taking my camera with me or even thinking to takes pictures of the progress, but here are some that I stole from Chad's iphone in order to prove that we are moving along.
Remember the before picture of the kitchen. We liked the "feel" of the old kitchen and the look of the cabinets and backsplash. We had kind of hoped to keep what was there and add on. We just couldn't figure out how to carry that around the corner to the blank wall without loosing a lot. So we had the cabinet maker design cabinets similar to the ones that were there. We weren't able to salvage all of the subway tile backsplash either, so that will be replaced. We are going to keep the same look on that too, though.
Here are the new cabinets! I think they turned out great. Sorry you can't get the full picture yet. I will take pictures with my camera after they are painted.
This is the before picture through the dining room to the door leading into the Butler's Pantry, which will be out desk area. Behind this door was another door the same size leading into the kitchen.
Although I loved the cute doors with the glass knobs and little window, we thought it would make the whole area feel bigger if we opened it up a little.

Chad did the demolition himself and most of the framing. He did have a framer help with the shaping of the arches to match the one between the living and dining. I love the way it turned out!
Other finished projects:
Foundation, mold removal from the little bathroom, ALL new electrical wiring (not in our original budget, but had to be done), ALL new plumbing under the house, new framing and sheetrock to replace torn out walls in the bathroom and places that were damaged from the bad foundation, new texture throughout the house, refinished wood floors throughout the house and some random odds and ends and repairs.
The painters are there right now and I can't wait to see it all painted!
I always stress about picking paint colors. We probably spent $175 on samples to try on the walls. I have paint colors that I have used over and over because I like them and feel comfortable using them; but I am going for a little different tone this time, so I was kind of starting from scratch....not fun. The sad thing was that I had the hardest time with the nuetral color for most of the house. I didn't want stark white, but I didn't want too beige or too gray either.
Projects to be completed in the next two weeks....hopefully. (That is our goal move in date):
interior paint, exterior paint, brick repair and cleaning, countertops, tile, new plumbing fixtures, light fixtures and other odd jobs and cleaning.
Hopefully that will give us about 6 weeks before Baby Molly makes her appearance! Maybe we will have some time to recover before we enter the world caring for a newborn.

2 comments:

Mauri said...

Love the update pics! I can't wait to see the finished product. You and Chad have such a gift for design! And happy to hear about baby Molly's sweet name! I bet I know one person that is giddy about sharing her name with your new addition! Love you guys!

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

You are right Mauri!!! :)